It doesn’t matter whether you study in an introductory course in psychology or are already among graduates of a higher educational institution, you will have to write an assignment such as an essay in APA format at least once a semester. The compelling of the assignment must be done using the official publication style of the American Psychological Association.
This does not mean that the APA format essay style term is used exclusively for an abstract in such a discipline as psychology. It can also be involved in other educational and social sciences. By and large, all the specifics of writing an assignment in APA style are consistent with specific requirements for intervals, title, markup fields, and the structure of the information flow.
Introduction to the methodology of the writing process
Even though at first glance, the usage of APA essay style may seem insignificant though it is far from being just one of the text style formatting tools. Thanks to this methodology, the audience will be able to more clearly understand your material and also accurately analyze what exactly is stated in your assignment. Besides, this essay format allows you to evaluate the most critical points of your essay and avoid errors when checking a text.
For our part, we will try to point out the essential subtleties of compelling APA in-text essay citations.
! Nevertheless, always be attentive to the style requirements for APA format and additionally check all the necessary instructions with your teacher.
A basic guide for in writing an APA style essay format
To better understand what is expected of you when compelling this APA assignment, you need to know what specific American Association requirements, you need to use on each page. Most often, this concerns the rules for checking text and the design of the pages directly. So, the essential rules for writing APA essays format include the following:
- Markup fields of page. Absolutely all sides of a page, namely the top, bottom, right, and left sides of the sheet should have the same indentation of at least 1 inch in APA.
- Line spacing. A paper should be written using double-spaced format.
- A running head. Each of the pages of your text should contain a running head at the up left. This means that it should be a more or less abbreviated version of the title name. It should be understood that in terms of volume, the running head should be no more than 50 characters, taking into account spaces.
- Pagination. Each page of your essay should be numbered. The page number is located in the upper right part of the document.
- Title page. To write the page section of your paper, you need to use the APA format. You must necessarily indicate the correct name of your assignment, your name, and the name of the educational institution in which you are studying on the cover page. The teacher can also indicate in the APA style requirements for writing the paper that the cover page should additionally contain information such as the name of the course you are studying, the name of your teacher and the date of writing.
- Article title page. The APA style requirements for writing the title are quite simple. It should be brief and in an understandable form should describe what exactly your assignment will contain. As for the volume of the name, it should not exceed several lines and contain no more than 12 words in Times New Roman.
Work cited peculiarities
! What are the requirements for using the font? Everything is simple, you need to use the same font and size as for writing an essay itself, namely Times New Roman with size 12 on each page.
Nevertheless, you should understand that some of the requirements for the design of your research paper may differ in some way. Most often, it depends directly on your teacher and therefore, do not forget to additionally clarify what requirements are put forward for writing your paper. Thus, later, you will not encounter problems when checking the paper.
APA essays writing guidelines
For effective writing of paper using the APA format, you must necessarily cite correctly each of the data origins used. Nevertheless, despite the apparent difficulties in writing this type of research paper, there are some guidelines on how to facilitate this task.
When you choose a topic title for writing your assignment, try to make the subject that will be discussed as specific and understandable as possible. In this instance, the main thing is not to overdo it and choose the topic title for which you can find the required number of origins of information. Also, if there is too much data on your topic title that can be used, then your thesis should contain only the most critical points. Otherwise, you run the risk of getting articles that will be too overloaded and go beyond the volumes indicated in the writing requirements.
Sources of information
Try to start your search for information and research for topics title as early as possible. Visit the library and study the online materials. The sooner you begin to familiarize yourself with the subject matter of your assignment, the faster you can make a preliminary listing of origins that you will use to write an essay.
! Do not neglect the sources of information which you cite in an abstract. They must be contained in a general listing of the information section.
It is also essential to understand that if you make a link to one of the origins of information in the assignment, then it must be contained in the reference section.
After you write a draft version of your assignment, you need to re-read it twice over before you begin to write the final version of the paper. At this stage, try to analyze how each paragraph of your essay flows smoothly from one to another. Also, do not forget to provide a check of your papers for various grammar errors or fingerprints, as well as for compliance with all parameters of the APA format.
Basic requirements for writing an essay in APA format
Do you need to write an article on a subject like psychology? Then on most occasions, you will be required to use the in-text APA format. The need to use this APA formatting style is dictated by the fact that you can more clearly present the information in your paper and correctly draw up all the links to data origins. If this is your first time encountering a situation where the requirement for compelling your assignment is to use a particular document checking tool, this can cause a little complexity and confusion.
However, an author will need a minimal amount of time to learn how to use this APA formatting style and also to learn all its subtleties. Besides, the APA format will further ensure that compelling papers following these requirements will be incredibly simple for you.
Required sections of your research work
Each time, when compelling this type of paper, you may be required to fulfill additional requirements. However, some factors are common to every essay written in this format. So our document must necessarily contain four central sections, namely:
- Title page. The title page of an article is necessary in order to indicate the name of the thesis on it, the author’s name and the name of the educational institution where you are studying. Initially, the purpose of the page title description is to provide the reader with an opportunity to see what exactly your assignment is written about and who is its author.
- Outline of the article. The annotation is nothing more than a summary of your thesis that immediately follows the cover page. Taking into account the APA, the outline should be compiled in a volume of not more than 150-250 words (about 1/3 of a page with Times New Roman and 12 font size). Nevertheless, this amount can be changed according to the specific requirements of your teacher (including margins).
- The central part of an essay. This section will use all the data that reveals the essence of the work. As for the requirements for the volume of words that need to be used in the main paragraph, it depends specifically on the requirements for your paper.
- Links to data origins. In this section, an author needs to use the full listing of sources of information that was referred to when compelling the assignment. This also includes all the in-text citations that you used in your thesis and body.
Easy guide on APA essay reference pages
In fact, the correct design of the essay writing reference pages is checked no less carefully than the thesis you wrote. That is why it is vital to take into account all the requirements for reference page design, as this can directly affect the final assessment. Similar requirements include:
- The reference listing of links should begin on a new page.
- In the title of this section, an author needs to specify “References” and place it in the upper and central part of the page.
- References should be in alphabetical order.
- The first line of the cite link should be written at the same level as the left margin.
- When compelling extra lines, use the TAB key. This way, you can indent each line.
- The latest edition of the APA essays format spelling requirements states that you must use a double space after each sentence.
- Making reference listings include the use of double line spacing between each word.
- Each link indicated in the body of the thesis should have its own origin in the listing of reference and vice versa.
- When making out an origin of data that refers to the name of a book, various magazines or newspaper origins, each word must be in italics.
In the specific case, the layout of the links may vary. It mainly depends on what articles source you are referring to. In turn, this may be the author of an assignment or book, or the assignment itself, a specialized magazine or an Internet source. That is why it is necessary to analyze further the requirements of each specific origin that will be used.
How to make the writing procedure easier
If you think that compelling links following all the requirements of the APA are a real headache, then this is not entirely true. The fact is that the modern development of technology allows students to simplify this procedure and make it faster and more efficient.
This is primarily about the possibility of using a free website program for processing citations regarding the requirements of the APA in your essay writing. Today you can quickly get a considerable number of such online website sources that will help you quickly and accurately make a listing of all literature origins. Nevertheless, you will additionally need to check twice over whether the received listing meets all the requirements that are indicated for your thesis and topics. After all, do you remember that a mistake in the abstract can cost you a lot?
Additional options for students
Some scholars also acquire their copy of the Publication Manual of the APA. This is one of the most effective ways to learn more about the important requirements of this format and, accordingly, check the thesis for compliance with the standards. Also, today, you can easily find on the Internet various examples of APA essay design and use them as essential data.
Although compelling a thesis in APA style can be a little complicated to follow and too demanding at first glance, everything will become much more straightforward and more understandable after you familiarize yourself with the essential rules of this format. Remember that despite the central listing of APA requirements, your teacher may also have additional tasks depending on the topic title of the thesis and the type of essay that you need to write. There are occasions when a professor may ask you to use the APA format not only for the thesis itself but also additionally for abstract data sources.
Checklist of written APA assignments
After you write a draft of your work, use this checklist to see whether it meets all the APA indented standards. Only after that, you can start compelling a clean version of the paper. Check the following options:
- Your thesis should contain a cover page with the title, the author’s name, and the name of the educational institution.
- The assignment must contain headings.
- The page title of the essay should be placed before paragraphs in the central text.
- Each in-text citation or paraphrased material (even from headings) should have a link in the source of literature.
- The list of references should be made in alphabetical order and contain all the references from your thesis.
- Try comparing your thesis with one of the APA format example essays.
- Check all page numbers in the abstract.
- Check your thesis twice over and make sure that it meets the indented standards.
- Check the thesis and header for errors and typos in your essay.
Receiving a high grade for your research
Now you can avoid most of the APA mistakes that learners make in the essay when the thesis, header, or the listing of references are incorrect. Remember that if the paper meets all of the above APA parameters, then this is an obvious step towards appreciation and praise from the professor.