separate vs network computers essay
Words: 1752 | Published: 03.26.20 | Views: 356 | Download now
This statement will evidently explain the differences between stand alone and network machines, along with give a brief insight into the basic components of the network.
As well, it will condition the conceivable advantages and disadvantages to keeping the current standalone build opposed to the thought of creating a network.
A suite shall be included to summarise your options, and provide a professional view on what would be the most appropriate for your small furniture organization.
WHAT IS IT?
A standalone environment is each time a computer can be used independently ” without link with any connection devices.
Every single computer will be needing a copy with the operating system and software being utilized. If you need to transfer data among departments, it’ll have to be done manually. They vary from networked computers which can be able to talk to various other computers since as soon as a computer is mounted on a communication device, that instantly becomes in a network.
The main features of a stand alone computer will be:
* They have no link with any other computers
* That have an net connection
* Info would need to always be manually transferred via Compact discs, etc
COMPUTER SYSTEM NETWORK
THE GENDER CHART?
A basic network consists of several computers and hardware devices such as computer printers and scanners that are linked together to enable them to communicate with each other.
It features four unique elements beyond the computers themselves. These are:
2. Communication gadgets
* Marketing Software
2. Data transfer media
* Specifications and types of procedures
Communication devices are components of hardware which might be needed to turn standalone computers into network computers. Just before a computer may be connected to a network it must have a network software card (NIC). This is a card that contains essential circuitry and a plug-in socket that allows an association between the computer system and the wiring. The NIC basically prepares and convert data to a form that can be transmitted through media (such as a metallic cable or perhaps fibre optic cable).
Network software may differ dependent on the size of the network. Because your household furniture firm is only a small business, the networking software on Or windows 7 shall be enough, but be aware of this information in case the business planning future expansion. Specialised network operating systems put together the activities of all of the computers and other devices attached to a network. Popular network operating systems include: UNIX held by the SCO group because 2000, Apache and Novell Netware, a popular client-server network operating system.
Data transfer media is definitely the physical material through which info travels from a single computer to another. The main data media an offer in today’s market happen to be metal cables, and fibre optic cable television which add the cost of creating/installing a network, or on the other hand wireless.
Requirements and types of procedures are important mainly because without them one particular device in the network could possibly be sending data to another system in a kind that the various other device may not be able to translate. In order for a network to run properly it should adopt certain procedures. With no procedures the safety of the network might be composed, as well as the overall health of the workers. Legislation such as the Data Security Act and Computer Improper use Act may accidently become disobeyed.
FEATURES OF STAYING STANDALONE
The advantages to keeping the current 5 machines set up as they are, as separate machines are:
* It could be a cheaper choice in terms of software and hardware. The wires, especially top speed fibre optic cables may be money consuming, as well this NIC and data transmitting media could be costly
5. Less ICT knowledge is required to keep the devices running proficiently, hence certified network managers/administrators do not need to be employed
* Teaching costs (such as money and time) on how to maintain/operate a network are unwanted if just about every member of staff knows how to use a standard standalone equipment
* The spread of viruses and bugs can be keep nominal as each one of the computers usually are communicate, that means the computer virus cannot be moved from online connectivity
* Hard is less of any necessity, since servers aren’t needed. This is beneficial in two ways:
5. If a bit of hardware does not work properly, it doesn’t affect every machine whereas, claim, if a file server crashed the whole network would be sabotaged
* In the beginning purchasing costs and repair costs need not be financed if the intricate hardware to get a network isn’t very needed
5. Standalone devices can operate a lot faster as if they are merely have for a particular task (e. g. Word processing) different software will not need to installed on the hard drive, hence producing the machine better
ADVANTAGES OF CREATING A NETWORK
The huge benefits of setting up a network significantly outweigh the benefits of staying stand alone. There are however drawbacks which will be covered on the subsequent page of this report:
* Manual file transfer is usually rendered inefficient if the network operates by using a file machine, which retains all the crucial documents a company needs, exactly where every pc has entry to instantly
5. Hardware including printers could be shared among multiple pcs, meaning another printer doesn’t need to be purchased/installed to every equipment
* Software program such as application are shared, meaning it can easier to control application maintenance and making sure the program is up-to-date is easier and even more efficient
2. Costs of buying software is decreased as you can obtain a single replicate which can then be installed the storage space so every machine provides access, which would be less expensive than the alternative of purchasing the program multiple times
5. Network managers can control what websites employees carry out and do not have access to, so distracting game websites can be clogged from every single computer
* Downloaded material can be inspected with the most recent virus checking out software globally, so individual scans need not take place
5. Backing up files to save losing valuable files can be done quickly or by the network administrator so fewer responsibility is put upon the work force plus the likelihood of reduce is decreased
* Interior business conversation can be possible throughout the method of e-mail, that will improve interaction between staff
DISADVANTAGES OF STAYING STANDALONE
The moment there are positive aspects, there are usually cons to go with that. The disadvantages of keeping the latest layout file format are the following:
* File transfer is time consuming and frustrating, since documents can not be directly delivered to each pc, hence file transfer media such as UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS memory supports or Compact discs need to be purchased
* Connection when focusing on a joint computer project can be picky, as e-mails cannot be sent, so the staff will have to take part in face-to-face connection
* Details is hard to keep up-to-date while two or more users could be changing the same piece of information ignorant the different is doing therefore , hence several documents will probably be produced causing confusion
2. Software has to be installed individually on each with the 5 devices, which can be expensive as the application needs to be duplicated enough moments and inconsiderate of businesses time
* Back-up of data files isn’t centrally done, therefore each equipment need to be supported and checked out regularly to ensure to lose of data
* The net or intranet cannot be utilized by employees, meaning subject areas cannot be analysis, information cannot be posted within a bulletin, and many others, hindering workers efforts
DOWN SIDES OF CREATING A NETWORK
The disadvantages of creating a network are hard to find as sites are good for almost every enterprise in today’s culture. However , that they include:
5. The task of running and maintaining a network, making sure it is fully functional requires competence, so a specialist shall must be hired
5. If hardware fails or malfunctions, every single computer can be faced with the inconvenience. One example is if the network file server goes down, simply no computer can gain access to the shared data files
* The first costs linked to setting up a network are high as all the hardware and software ought to purchased, though a network will save profit the long run, in the short run it can be costly
* Viruses may be spread more readily and quickly to every computer on the network, whereas whether it happened to a standalone laptop only one would be affected
Overall, the huge benefits to your small enterprise of creating a network much outweigh the benefits of keeping the machines stand alone. The ability to discuss files such as orders, invoices, etc can be drastically increased as a record server could possibly be emplaced for ease of gain access to. Providing you have the money to invest in the highly priced tools, the option of setting up a network can be beneficial over the years for the organization ” especially in major development happens that can be foresaw with all the increasing mass of technology used.
You can actually use the internet research competitor’s prices, to offer your customer the highest quality service available and even start trading on-line using e-commerce. Make sure adequate antivirus applications are in place to shield from the likelihood of hackers or perhaps viruses; this could cost extra money, as it has to be updated. The ICT department may need to consider employing highly qualified employees to perform and maintain the network to ensure it’s functional on a day by day basis. So the options in order to keep the 5 standalone machines and be faced with the drawbacks of them, or set up a network of computers and experience the alter.